May 1, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
This is a story for @FakeWIPCaller. New Eagles quarterback
and real WIP caller Matt Barkley will wear the number 2 on his uniform this
season, the first player to do so for the franchise since David Akers.
Just how big of a deal was this exactly? Barkley revealed to
the radio station during an interview on Wednesday that the Eagles actually
called Akers to make sure it was okay with him.
There’s two ways to look at this. One, obviously Akers was a
very good place kicker, not to mention human being, during his 12 years in
Philly. It was a simple sign of respect.
The other reaction: really?! Did anyone remember to call
Correll Buckhalter and check whether it was okay that safety Earl Wolff got his
vaunted number 28?
We like David Akers and all, but this kicker worship is a
little out of control sometimes. In fact, we hear the team is prepared to commission
a statue of Akers mid-kickoff once he’s retired, with a tiny Brian Dawkins
running down the field with the rest of the coverage unit.* It’s not super accurate, but Akers was a legend larger than life itself after all.
Meanwhile, Akers joined the Lions this offseason after being
cut by the 49ers, and we’re still wishing him all the best. Even if we are
having a little fun at his expense today.
*We have not heard
>> Philadelphia Eagles draft picks get their jersey numbers [Patriot-News]
|Jeff on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|Chris on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Pipes on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Nick on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages