Aug 15, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Howard Eskin’s run as the “King” of drive time sports radio in Philadelphia is coming to an end.
Dan Gross, the gossip columnist for the Daily News, first wrote earlier today that “it’s pretty certain that the Sportsradio 610 WIP AM host will not be hosting a daily talk show for the station after Labor Day.”
Gross hinted that while Eskin will hang up his fur coat on his daily late afternoon show, the “King” would remain with the station as an Eagles reporter.
Eskin addressed these reports on his show this afternoon and set the record straight about some of the changes happening on the Philly airwaves. [audio below]
“25 years ago this month I did the first sports talk show on WIP,” Eskin said as he got choked up.
He went on to talk about challenges, and it being time for a new one. That new challenge for Eskin is apparently a yet-defined more national presence, while remaining at WIP in a smaller capacity.
“After September 2nd, I will be giving up the 3:00-7:00 shift,” Eskin added. “To be clear, I’m staying at WIP.”
Love him or more likely not love him, Eskin was a staple on the Philly radio waves for pretty much the entirety of our media consuming life. We’re not sure we’ll go so far as to say he’ll be missed — which he may, who knows — but it’ll certainly be a huge change in the radio landscape.
It is just one of many changes expected at 610. There are also rumblings that WIP may soon take over the FM signal of sister rock station 94 WYSP.
We’ve also heard from reliable people that said switch is coming.
Some may have also noticed the recent sporadic appearances of Jody McDonald on 610 WIP as of late. Could that signal one of the more permanent changes coming?
Apparently showing up on the FM dial can get more people to listen to you.
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money