Apr 9, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
It looked like he was going to slip away via free agency, but Derek Landri will be back in midnight green in 2012. The journeyman defensive tackle signed a one-year deal with the Eagles on Monday morning. Adam Caplan reports the contract could be worth a up to $1.875 million, with $500k guaranteed.
Landri was brought in for depth during training camp, and initially released afterwards. When Antonio Dixon suffered a season-ending injury in Week 4, Landri got the call, and showed everyone he probably should’ve made the team to begin with. In limited playing time, Landri scored two sacks and a pass deflect in 2011, and made a much bigger impact than those numbers suggest.
According to ProFootballFocus, Landri was the ninth-best interior defensive lineman available in free agency, as he finished in the top 10 in both their run stop and pass rush measures. Very impressive for a castoff.
Landri seemed to thrive in the wide nine alignment of the defensive line, and wasn’t pressed to be an every-down player like he was in his previous stop at Carolina. As a result, he was in the middle of practically everything whenever he was on the field, becoming something of a fan favorite along the way. We’re certainly glad to see one of the defense’s most productive players return.
It remains to be seen whether Landri will alter the Eagles’ draft plans at all, but probably not. Both he and Antonio Dixon are only signed through this year, along with second-year player Cedric Thornton, who did not appear in a game last season. Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson are the only tackles under contract for multiple seasons, and neither are getting any younger.
According to Reuben Frank, the Eagles were forced to scrap a long-term deal with Landri after the Jason Peters injury/Demetress Bell
signing. Still, that tidbit indicates the team is very high on the 28-year-old defensive tackle. Who knows whether or not Landri can match or exceed his level of production from last season in 2012, but it was wise to bring back a player who excelled in Jim Washburn’s front.
The Eagles have now re-upped all four of their own “high priority” free agents.
|romanKanai on Michael Young Is Posting Some…|
|Jason R. on We’re comparing Michael…|
|BenE. on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Matt S. on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages