Jul 19, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Cowboys fans better pray neither of the team’s offensive tackles gets injured this season. It’s not like they have a Jason Peters or some other All-Pro type down there. No, the problem is Demetress Bell could be on their bench. An ESPN Dallas report says the club intends to sign Bell after he passes a physical.
I would recommend Tony Romo flee now, while he still has the chance (re: full use of his legs). But then as Michael Vick can attest to, running away probably won’t help.
Legend has it the Eagles signed Bell last April to fill the void left by the season-ending injury to Peters. The “best” free-agent tackle on the market was that for a reason it turned out, as Bell was horrific no matter where he lined up. He appeared in nine games and started five before he was permanently replaced by King Dunlap, which right there says all you need to know about Bell’s performance.
To be fair, Bell may have struggled to adapt to then-offensive line coach Howard Mudd’s blocking scheme. Even still, he was never all that great in his previous place of employment with the Buffalo Bills. Again, there’s a reason he was still available weeks after free agency had opened.
This time he was available well into July, and the fact that the Cowboys are signing Bell at all should give you some insight into the state of their O-line. I suppose he’s strictly there for depth, and not even a lock to make the 53-man roster, but it’s hard to imagine there could be anybody worse.
The best part is the Dallas front office should know this better than anybody. Jimmy Kempski took an illustrated look at Bell’s blooper reel from a game against the Cowboys last night over at Bleeding Green Nation. It’s well worth checking out for a good laugh. Seriously highly entertaining stuff.
>> Demetress Bell in Cowboys’ plans [ESPN]
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return