Sep 20, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
We’ve all probably wasted more words on Donovan McNabb over the years than we all care to admit. The guy elicits emotions. All kinds of them. And the same can be said of his speech and number retiring ceremony during halftime last night at the Linc.
I’ll note one part about the whole thing that I really enjoyed. Instead of having the PA announcer, Dan Baker, tell the crowd what was about to go down, the giant video screens at the Linc went right into a video montage with that NFL-sounding theme music. The first words you heard were that of Merrill Reese introducing Donovan McNabb as a rookie quarterback for the Eagles. You can’t get much better than an intro from the voice of the Eagles. It was well done.
The second nice touch was having Brian Dawkins be the guy to welcome McNabb out to the field. Those two were the face of the Eagles teams we loved so much for most of the last decade. Then McNabb took the microphone.
Yeah, it was kind of awkward at times, but that’s Donovan. At the end of it all though, he made one thing clear, he loves the Eagles fans. And that’s all he really had to say.
He pointed to the team banners that hang high above the Linc and correctly noted that the teams he and Dawk fought on were responsible for a remarkable six of them. It’s easy to forget.
The rest of the night didn’t go as well as most in green had hoped. But for a couple of minutes at halftime, we had a chance to remember some good times and give a little thanks to the guy who made a lot of it happen.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return