Jul 25, 2013, 11:41 AM EST
The latest in Donovan McNabb’s media rounds appears in the September issue of Philadelphia Magazine and was made available to read online this morning.
It’s another wide-ranging Q&A that goes from being booed on draft day to not puking in the Super Bowl to his relationship with Terrell Owens and even touches on how fans will react when he’s welcomed back to town in September.
But the nugget I found most fun was when he talked about the time he broke his fibula and stayed in the game to put together one of the more legendary performances of his career. Somehow, amazingly, he finds a way to blame His Airness, Michael Jordan.
From Philly Mag:
By 2000 and 2001 you were an elite quarterback—big numbers, dramatic comeback victories. Then you showed guts in 2002 against Arizona when you played with a broken fibula. What do you remember from that game?
Oh, man. I was with Brand Jordan. They didn’t send my rain-type shoes on time, so I went from Jordans back to Nike. I was slipping out there. I scrambled left, tried to give two guys a move, buy some time. I remember getting grabbed from behind. They checked my ankle on the sideline, taped it. We rallied, came back, great game. We go back in the locker room and they x-ray it. Bam: “You broke your ankle.”
“After the game, I went to the [Washington] Wizards game and said to Mike [Jordan], “Where were my shoes? I broke my ankle, man.”
I’ll give McNabb credit for his telling of the “air guitar” story though, when he says Leonard Weaver was on the drums and DeSean Jackson was rapping. “It was like a band. We were having a good time,” he said. I like that. I also enjoyed how he jokes about maybe bringing the air guitar back on September 19th when the team honors him at the Linc. At least he has some sense of humor left.
|Mark432 on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|Andy Schreiber on Here’s a lovely Winter W…|
|Chris on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|erzug on Video: Sean Couturier is too m…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages