May 19, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Ordinarily, I don’t weigh in too heavy on our old friend Donovan anymore. As some readers have astutely pointed out, he’s gone, out of our lives forever. However, this story from last week was a little too juicy to simply ignore, and just maybe serves as a glimpse into what’s gone wrong for the former Eagles quarterback.
Per PFT, a talk radio show in D.C. citing unnamed sources claimed last Thursday that McNabb refused to wear a wristband with the plays on it, allegedly because he was afraid it would hurt his image. As incredibly ridiculous as that may sound (or not I guess), Donovan has yet to deny the story, and Rex Grossman has since all but confirmed it.
Wristbands are a fairly common device for quarterbacks. Through a little independent research, I noticed Mike Vick wearing one last season. So did Kevin Kolb. Hell, Tom Brady wears one. And while Donovan has not worn one for much of, or any of his NFL career, he certainly had them at Syracuse before the Eagles made him the second overall pick in the draft.
Whatever the reason is for not wearing one now, it’s stupid. The wristband is only there to help, so there really is no excuse for making a big deal over it. If it’s a way to show displeasure with the coaching staff, there are other ways he could demonstrate that. If it’s about his image, well, I’m pretty sure his play this past year did enough damage in that department.
And Donovan better get with the program soon, that is if he intends to play again in 2011. The idea has been floated that we may have seen the last of McNabb. He’ll likely demand a contract that far exceeds his value at this stage of his career, which is one of a temporary solution under center. Forget image, he’ll have to swallow his pride the next time he puts his name on the dotted line.
Even then, the fact of the matter is once he gets to Minnesota, or wherever the coaches want to bring their franchise QB along slowly, the expectation would likely be–get ready for it–he wear a friggin wristband. McNabb is not the offensive wizard he seems to think he is, and with a shortened off-season to get up to speed in another new offense, the wristband may become a necessity.
Honestly, I never thought I’d feel this way, but thankfully he’s not our problem anymore. McNabb was a very good quarterback here for a long time, and he helped carry this fanbase to some awesome highs. Nobody is dismissing his accomplishments.
What’s sadly become apparent though, and more than ever since his departure, is this attitude as if he feels he’s better than he really is. But Donovan McNabb is not above being traded, not above ending his career as a journeyman, and he’s not above wearing a damn wrist band. At least he shouldn’t be if he wants to still be taken seriously.
>> Report: McNabb refused to wear a wristband with plays [PFT]
>> Grossman says, what else, he should be starter [Washington Examiner]
>> Mosher: All signs pointing to end of McNabb’s career [News Journal]
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return