Mar 10, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
The Eagles created a minor stir when Baylor’s Robert Griffin III revealed the team interviewed him at the Scouting Combine. The Redskins moved heaven and earth to become the team that will actually draft the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback in April.
Washington agreed to a swap with the St. Louis Rams late Friday night for the number two pick in the draft, dashing whatever faint hopes Eagles fans had of their club moving up for RG3, and ensuring the coveted duel threat will be playing in the NFC East for years to come.
The Redskins, who reportedly had already been spurned by Peyton Manning’s camp, exchanged the sixth overall pick this season, as well as two future first rounders — PLUS additional selections. It is all but guaranteed they will use the pick on Griffin.
On one hand, many believe Griffin could be an All Pro for years to come, the type of player who could restore credibility to a Redskins franchise that has resided in the basement for the better part of two decades. However, as usual, the cost of doing business was prohibitive, and Washington’s roster is already lacking talent, particularly early draft picks largely from trading so many of them away.
There’s no denying the Skins need a QB though, and besides the Browns, they had the best position to make this type of splash. Sad to see Griffin fall into the hands of a rival, but the NFC East just got a whole lot more interesting.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return