Dec 8, 2013, 11:31 PM EST
It’s cold outside and there’s snow on the ground, but the Philadelphia Eagles are white hot. With their 34-20 victory over the Detroit Lions on Sunday, the Birds now own the longest winning streak in the NFL at five games.
The Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers were the only two teams that owned longer streaks entering Week 14. Both lost on Sunday, leaving 8-5 Philadelphia as the new torch-bearer.
The Eagles’ last loss was October 27 against the New York Giants, a game that Michael Vick started under center and Matt Barkley finished. Since then, Nick Foles has led the team to victories over Oakland (4-9), Green Bay (6-6-1), Washington (3-10), Arizona (8-5) and Detroit (7-6).
During that span, the Eagles are scoring an average of 31.6 points per game while holding opponents to 18.0. They also have an outstanding turnover margin of plus-10 over the last five.
Five clubs are tied for second with three-game winning streaks, which just goes to show how hard it is string together even a month’s worth of wins back-to-back in the NFL.
It’s also the longest such streak for the Birds since they won six in a row in 2009.
The Dallas Cowboys can join those teams at three straight with a W at Chicago on Monday night. Or, they can lose and Philadelphia can take over sole possession first place in the NFC East.
With Carolina’s loss, the Eagles are also just one game out of either Wild Card playoff berth, so regardless of what the Cowboys do, the Birds will still be in excellent shape come Tuesday morning.
Philadelphia heads to Minnesota next to take on the 3-9-1 Vikings. All-Pro running back and the league’s reigning Most Valuable Player Adrian Peterson was carted off with a foot injury on Sunday and would seem unlikely to play against the Birds.
Of course, the Eagles shut down two of the most potent weapons in the NFL in consecutive weeks in wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Even if AP miraculously finds a way to be ready, the Eagles should be too.
|Simmonds17 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return