Mar 1, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
The Eagles announced on Thursday that they’ve placed their franchise tag on DeSean Jackson, ensuring they’ll have control over the speedster for at least the 2012 season. They must now try and determine whether or not they can get DeSean inked to a longer term deal, decide whether they want to try and trade him, or simply have him play out the season under the terms of a franchise player, which for a wide receiver is around $9.4 million.
I’d guess they’ll try and come to some sort of longer term agreement with DJacc, but we all know how that has gone in the past. A trade is pretty unlikely. There are free agents, and any other team is gonna have the same problems with giving DeSean the long-term contract he wants, not to mention give up the draft picks the birds will want in return.
Tagging Jackson means the Eagles most likely will not be in the market for any of the top free agent wide receivers. Jeremy Maclin, DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant, Brent Celek, and Shady McCoy are still quite the arsenal of weapons for Michael Vick heading into 2012.
Howie Roseman had this to add, via Dave Spadaro,”We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him.”
“We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step in the right direction to accomplish that.”
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money