Mar 1, 2012, 4:25 PM EST
The Eagles announced on Thursday that they’ve placed their franchise tag on DeSean Jackson, ensuring they’ll have control over the speedster for at least the 2012 season. They must now try and determine whether or not they can get DeSean inked to a longer term deal, decide whether they want to try and trade him, or simply have him play out the season under the terms of a franchise player, which for a wide receiver is around $9.4 million.
I’d guess they’ll try and come to some sort of longer term agreement with DJacc, but we all know how that has gone in the past. A trade is pretty unlikely. There are free agents, and any other team is gonna have the same problems with giving DeSean the long-term contract he wants, not to mention give up the draft picks the birds will want in return.
Tagging Jackson means the Eagles most likely will not be in the market for any of the top free agent wide receivers. Jeremy Maclin, DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant, Brent Celek, and Shady McCoy are still quite the arsenal of weapons for Michael Vick heading into 2012.
Howie Roseman had this to add, via Dave Spadaro,”We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him.”
“We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul and this is a step in the right direction to accomplish that.”
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages