Dec 11, 2011, 12:13 PM EST
Doomsday is on the horizon. One more loss, and the Eagles are mathematically eliminated from the postseason. Will the clock strike zero on their dreams today in Miami?
Even Michael Vick may not be able to save us now.
The Dolphins are only 4-8, same as the Birds, but trending in the opposite direction. Miami has one of the hottest teams in football, winning four of their last five, and losing by no more than three points in any of their last seven. On the flip side, Philadelphia has dropped four of their last five, and were crushed in their last two. If you are a strong believer in momentum as a decisive factor, the Eagles have no chance.
The big change for the Fins is they started winning the turnover battle. Through the first five weeks, they had a differential of -7. Since then, they are +3, playing a much smarter brand of football.
Matt Moore replaced Berks County native Chad Henne at quarterback when the starter suffered a season-ending injury in Week 4, a change that may have been for the better. Moore doesn’t post huge yardage totals, but he manages the game. He’s thrown nine touchdowns to just two interceptions in his last seven starts, including a pair of three-touchdown afternoons.
The Dolphins were also able to locate their running game, which was missing in action earlier in the season. Reggie Bush, Miami’s big free-agent splash this summer, has been picking it up, and had his first 100-yard rushing day of the season in last week’s win over Oakland. With two more carries, he’ll establish a career-high in attempts in arguably his best season to date.
It’s not an explosive offense, but it’s enough to keep them in games because nothing comes easy against their defense. The Dolphins are fifth in the NFL, allowing 18.3 points per game. They are fifth against the run, and while their weakness is in the secondary, they have a solid pass rush anchored by Penn State product Cam Wake.
But don’t shut the book on the Eagles’ season just yet. They do have one particular advantage that should not go overlooked. Their last game was on Thursday, giving them three extra days to prepare for the Dolphins. It’s similar to a bye week, and we all know Andy Reid’s record after a week off. Considering what’s on the line, it would be a surprise to see his team come out flat.
Although a win may not necessarily wind up helping the Birds. They need lots of help from Dallas and New York, and even though both seem willing to pitch in, all either one of them needs to do is reach nine wins regardless of what the Eagles do. Dallas needs two, and the Giants need three — but they play each other twice. That’s tough.
So maybe you’re even rooting for a Philly loss today, improving April’s draft position, and worsening the situation for a certain head coach. One way or the other, the season marches forward.
The Eagles have everybody available today. Jeremy Maclin was downgraded to questionable yesterday, but Reuben Frank tweets the wide receiver will play. Likewise, the Dolphins have no significant injuries.
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Kunk on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return