Dec 30, 2012, 2:25 AM EDT
There truly is no other way to dress this game up. Today
probably won’t be memorable, and it certainly isn’t meaningful, but it almost
assuredly will be Andy Reid’s last as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.
With a 4-11 record, the Birds have been out of playoff
contention for over a month now. That by itself would be more than enough to
seal Reid’s fate, never mind the utter state of turmoil that surrounded the
team all season long.
Jeffrey Lurie left himself some outs when he delivered what
many perceived to be a public ultimatum to Andy earlier this year, but this
decision boils down to common sense. It’s time.
Unfortunately, the actual contest against the New York
Giants isn’t very intriguing, which often tends to be the case in situations
like these. The G-men still have long odds to reach the tournament, and the
Eagles can eliminate their bitter rivals with a win, so there’s that at least.
However, they’ll be going to battle with Michael Vick under
center, widely believed to be playing his last game for the organization as
well. While likely, that much remains to be seen. Regardless, the progress of
Nick Foles had been one of the only remaining reasons to tune in recently.
Philly is also without defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and
linebacker Mychal Kendricks, making that three of the club’s top four picks
from April’s draft out with injuries. So in terms of evaluating for the future,
how much is there really left to see?
Without advance knowledge about who the next coaching staff
will be comprised of, we’re pretty much past the point of drawing many
The good news is the holding pattern the Eagles have been
stuck in for the latter half of this season is about to be over. The bad news
is they’ve got to slog through 60 minutes one final time before we actually
come out on the other side of the tunnel. See you there.
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money