Apr 25, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
It’s NFL Draft Day! Do you have any idea what the Eagles are going to do tonight? Neither do I. And that’s the problem, right there.
The entire time Andy Reid was the coach of the Eagles, he stayed tight-lipped about his plans for the draft and free agency. I guess he didn’t trust us lowly fans with such important information- once again, it was all about Andy believing he was smarter than all of the rest of us. When Andy was fired and Chip Kelly replaced him, I was hoping we’d at least get some transparency.
No such luck, I’m afraid. Not only has Chip Kelly been just as silent about the Eagles’ draft plans as Andy always was, but he hasn’t done a single thing yet to show that he knows what he’s doing when it comes to drafting. I want Chip to come out, this morning, and tell us exactly who he plans to take with the fourth pick. I think we’re owed at least that, especially from an organization that just raised ticket prices after going 4-12.
Leading the Eagles to a record that earned them the fourth pick, in the year of the weakest draft in memory, was clearly an intentional move on Andy Reid’s part, and so was taking a job with one of the only teams picking ahead of the Eagles.
The invaluable Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported earlier in the week that the Eagles have four players they’re focusing on, unless they trade down. Based on that rock-solid information, what should the Eagles do at #4?
I don’t want Geno Smith, I really don’t need another scrambling quarterback who’s not trustworthy in the clutch. EJ Manuel wore #7 in college, so he’s out too. Ryan Nassib? No thank you; who wants another quarterback from Syracuse?
No interest in Dion Jordan; the Phillies tried Ricky and Kevin, the Eagles Akeem, and the Sixers Eddie, but Jordans never seem to work out in Philly. Star Lotulelei is a no-go too; I’m sick of players from Utah. Dee Milliner has a girl’s name. And the Eagles better not do any of those arrogant things Andy used to do on draft day, like trade up, trade down, or draft an offensive lineman in the first round.
You know who the Eagles should draft? Luis Suarez. The soccer player for English club team Liverpool last weekend bit an opposing player and then, just a few minutes later, scored a last-second, game-tying goal.
I’m certainly no soccer fan, but the Eagles could really use a guy with that sort of killer instinct and skill in the clutch- imagine what a hero a guy would be in this town if he bit Tony Romo, and then scored a game-winning touchdown. And most importantly, it sounds like B-Dawk agrees!
So get out there and get drafting, Chip Kelly. Because if you don’t have a good first draft, you’re certainly going to hear it from the crowd at the first home game.
Other Philly sports takes:
- The Eagles schedule came out this week. I’m seeing loss, loss, win, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss, loss.
- Bryz falling asleep in a team meeting is an outrage. In this town, we want athletes who eagerly participate in team meetings, and ask lots of questions.
- A Paulie statue in Kensington? Why not? It’s important every Rocky supporting character get a statue before Joe Frazier.
- I still can’t believe Rutgers fired Mike Rice, just for showing leadership as a coach. I mean, if Andrew Bynum had had to worry about basketballs weezing by his head, I think he’d have found a way to get on the court. Anyway, Rutgers certainly got what they deserved: New coach Eddie Jordan.
- Jonathan Pettibone made a really solid debut for the Phils the other night. He looks like a keeper in this rotation- might it be time to approach him with an extention? Between him and Jesse Biddle, who struck out 16 in Double-A the same night, things are really looking up for the future of the Phils’ young pitching.
- On the other hand, the Phils could really use a veteran outfield bat with some pop, so Pettibone could be a useful trade chip.
- Pettibone for Carlos Beltran! Pettibone and Biddle for Josh Hamilton! Pettibone, Biddle and Domonic Brown for Giancarlo Stanton. Come on, Ruben!
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money