Mar 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Over the last week and a half, we followed the NFL’s free agency movement with an eye trained on the Eagles, and I’ve gotta tell ya… it’s been boring as hell from that perspective. This thing has been Peyton Manning’s world, while the NFC East just lived in it. Well, except for the Washington Redskins. That organization is located on another planet.
As for the Birds, the acquisition of DeMeco Ryans sort of completes Philadelphia’s journey, for now anyway. Sure, they will come to terms with a few more players between now and draft day, even until and probably into the month of Setpember — just none likely to be as impactful, or from as far out of left field as Ryans.
Linebacker was the one big addition we expected from this offseason. With that out of the way, the Eagles are essentially finished.
Overall, it’s been a positive 10 days for the Birds, if a little lacking in excitement. Besides the Ryans deal, which has been met with almost universal praise from fans and media alike, the front office has ensured a group of very good players will be wearing Midnight Green for years to come.
By extending Todd Herremans, then re-upping Evan Mathis, the Eagles have cemented their offensive line into place. This group is already considered one the best fronts in the league, and the next time any of the starting five will be available to become a free agent is 2015. That should foster some serious continuity.
On the other side of the ball, Cullen Jenkins restructured with the intention of retiring an Eagle, and Trent Cole’s extension could conceivably achieve the same. The starting front four largely responsible for a league-leading 50 sacks in 2011 are also locked in until 2015. This team is built to dominate in the trenches.
And of course, there is DeSean Jackson. A long-term deal should keep the wide receiver happy for the foreseeable future, while protecting the franchise financially in case something goes wrong down the road. With management said to be working on a contract for LeSean McCoy as well, it means most of the core from an offense that is one year removed from setting a franchise record in scoring could stay together to break the mark several more times.
It means the Eagles don’t have many holes left. They are taken care of offensively, where the biggest question mark seems to be whether Michael Vick can make the next step toward becoming an elite passer. On defense, the rest of the pieces should fall in step around Ryans, and a unit that was better than advertised in 2011 should be vastly improved in 2012 — especially if new defensive backs coach Todd Bowles can figure out how to get the most out of their secondary.
As for the rest of the division, it will be about the same. The Giants are always a threat as long as they have Eli Manning, while the Cowboys made some nice additions and should be in the hunt. At least the Redskins will have a franchise quarterback again, even though he’ll be surrounded by slop.
Meanwhile, a lot of folks are still bewildered and angry about last season, and the fact that Andy Reid somehow continues to collect a paycheck. The only thing that’s going to win those people over is a Super Bowl.
One thing is for certain: if the Eagles don’t do it this year, or at least come close, Reid will be out of excuses. By the time the draft is over, this will be the most complete roster Philadelphia has had on paper since ’08, maybe even ’04.
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages