Feb 23, 2012, 2:57 PM EST
For the most part, everybody is an Evan Mathis fan these days. He’s very engaging, and coming off a career year seldom hurts one’s popularity.
He’s also a free agent, and somebody the Eagles would like to have back next season. For his part, Mathis expressed a desire to return as well, so we were fairly confident the two sides would work something out, perhaps even before free agency opened.
As it turns out, that last part… can’t happen.
Responding to a story about Dallas Cowboys free agent wide receiver Laurent Robinson, Adam Caplan Tweeted on Thursday that NFL rules prevent Mathis from signing a contract before free agency begins on March 13.
Like Robinson, Mathis signed something called a “minimum salary benefit” contract last summer. The deal pays the player the league minimum, but the entire salary does not count against the salary cap. In Robinson’s case, the Cowboys saved a little more than $200,000 by doing this.
The downside, of course, is the Eagles can’t lock in Mathis before another club has a chance to make an offer, which could drive up the price. Technically, they can still negotiate with him in advance of March 13, but ESPN’s Todd Archer, who broke the initial story on Robinson, indicated such a move could hurt their bargaining position.
Caplan also confirmed defensive tackle Derek Landri is in the same boat.
The silver lining is Mathis wants to play here, so it’s not time to panic quite yet. However, if another GM agrees he looked like one of the best left guards in football this season, that team might make an offer the Eagles won’t match — and Mathis can’t refuse.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages