Jan 19, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
If you were among the Eagles fans still hanging onto hopes that Steve Spagnuolo would be coming back to Philadelphia to take over the defense, it’s time to let go of that dream. Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer is reporting that Spagnuolo has agreed to become the New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator.
As more and more time passed with only team silence and media speculation, the idea of Spags returning to Philly grew not only less likely, but perhaps also less plausible. Kulp has put together some interesting posts on some misconceptions about the shortcomings of the Eagles’ defense and folly of blaming their failed season on Juan Castillo. Also, the degree to which Spagnuolo probably wasn’t a perfect fit for the Eagles right now, and vice-versa. With all the pieces already in place in Philly that don’t necessarily fit with a Spagnuolo scheme, and the other opportunities around the league, this was probably always a long shot.
Spags now takes over the position vacated by Gregg Williams, who left New Orleans to coach the St. Louis Rams defense under Jeff Fisher, who filled the head coaching opening created when Spagnuolo was fired. They don’t call it a coaching carousel because it has horses and a brass ring.
There’s still some question as to whether Castillo remains on as defensive coordinator, but it’s at least one replacement candidate more likely now. Until Andy Reid makes his way to the podium, there will be speculation. Are you on board with the Reid-Castillo ticket in 2012? Or do you think the Eagles’ silence on Castillo means they are once again looking for a new coordinator?
In related news, it’s “all but certain” Kevin Acee’s sources will be given less credence going forward. Nothing against Acee, but that sentence dropped into a report on two other franchises’ coaching and GM positions ignited weeks of reports one way or the other.
|Mostel on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|Jason R. on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Steve on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|Scott B on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages