Dec 31, 2012, 4:06 PM EST
While we’re always a little sad to come to the realization
that football season is nearing its conclusion, this year is different. It
pales in comparison to the disappointment felt after a crushing playoff loss,
that’s for sure. In fact, when the Eagles are 4-12, there’s actually quite a
bit of relief involved.
Andy Reid is the only head coach The700Level.com has ever
known, but tonight we turn the calendar over to a new year, and tomorrow the Eagles awaken with a fresh start.
In case you’re just joining us, Reid along with five other
head coaches from around the league received their walking papers on Black
Monday. Philadelphia’s head coaching search begins immediately.
We’ve probably been kinder toward or even defensive of Reid
than some of the other outlets that cover the Eagles, at least I admit I have.
It hasn’t always been like that – few seem to remember moments like the time we
“found” Andy’s infamous play chart back in 2008. In general though, the belief
here is we were fortunate to have a pretty good football coach.
The business of Reid’s legacy is for another conversation.
What I’m trying to get at – quickly, so I can enjoy my holiday – is change can
be exciting, and change can be necessary. Reid will get another job, he may
even win the Super Bowl somewhere down the road. Good luck to him.
I think I speak for 99% of Eagles fans when I say that I’m
ready for change. Sure, that sounds like
a no-brainer. However, any way you slice it the next head coach almost
certainly will not duplicate the success Reid had, even less likely for the
duration Reid enjoyed. Yet it’s the chance we’re all willing to take, because clearly
it was time, arguably past due even.
In closing, we’re looking forward to the Eagles starting
over, looking forward to what change will bring, and hoping for the best. And
that truly is fitting, because that’s sort of in the spirit of starting a New Year
– turning over a new leaf and trying something different.
Have a safe and happy New Year, folks.
|The Evster on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Mungman on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|Turbo on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|philsoc8 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return