Jul 25, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
The writing was on the wall, the next step little more than a formality. When the NFL released its official listing of free agents at 6 p.m. Monday, David Akers’ name was not followed by the word “Transition,” indicating the Eagles rescinded the tag and will allow their kicker of 12 seasons to become an unrestricted free agent.
The move comes as no surprise after the Birds used a fourth round draft pick on Alex Henery, but the impending departure of the franchise’s all-time leader in points is probably worth a mention.
Akers was slapped with the transition tag back in February, which guaranteed a one-year contract worth the average salary of the 10 highest paid players at his position. Other teams would still be able to sign Akers to an offer sheet, which the Eagles would then have seven days to match.
Obviously, none of that was necessary anymore. However, it also should be noted a new league rule forced the organization’s hand. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, teams now may only use either the franchise tag or the transition tag in the same year. Since the Eagles already used the franchise tag to sign Mike Vick, the other designation was no longer available.
Of course, all of that is really beside the point, because there has been next to no chance Akers would be brought back since April.
Akers had quite the distinguished career in Philadelphia, as evidenced by his five Pro Bowl nods. While he leaves town a goat, missing two field goals that might have been the difference in a Wild Card playoff game against the eventual Super Bowl champions in January, Akers will be best remembered for being the greatest kicker in franchise history.
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return