Nov 12, 2012, 2:04 AM EST
In a totally Eagles series of moves, they picked two-time Pro Bowler and Cowboys free-agent Mat McBriar to compete with incumbent Chas Henry after a four-way punter tryout back in July. McBriar appeared to be the superior punter, which is of course the punter’s primary job, but was cut before camp concluded because he messed up a couple of holds for Alex Henery in the preseason. Henry responded with a masterful kicking performance in Week 1, and seemed to be okay from there, yet he was replaced by McBriar after three games anyway.
Seven weeks later, McBriar’s true plan finally came to fruition. An enemy spy all along, the punter sabotaged the Birds against Dallas by ignoring any and all additional duties – tackling including.
McBriar’s 49-yard punt came with 13:52 remaining in the fourth quarter, the score tied at 17, and was returned 78 yards to paydirt by a Dwayne Harris. The fact that Harris was able to race down the sidelines unattended obviously is not the punter’s fault, but the piss-poor attempt at shoving the ball carrier out of bounds might almost make you wonder whether McBriar even made an effort at all.
And to think, all he had to do was show up at the Nova Care Complex. And wait for an inevitable failure of infrastructure to occur, resulting in his eventual re-signing. Then again, incredulous Troy Aikman, McBriar is only a punter – not to mention being blocked on the play.
Of course, DeSean Jackson did allude to possible cancers in the locker room only a week or two ago. Maybe Mat McBriar has been the one dragging this team down all along.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return