Nov 16, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Unfortunately, the safety met his end about nine games too late. With second round pick Jaiquawn Jarrett showing he can step in and play competent football on Sunday — as long as his responsibilities don’t include guarding Larry Fitzgerald one-one-one — Jarrad Page’s services were no longer required. The Eagles released one of their free agent additions from over the summer on Wednesday, and promoted WR Chad Hall from the practice squad.
Page joined the Eagles after spending last season as a backup in New England. It seemed like it could be a solid under-the-radar signing at the time. Page was a starter in Kansas City for three seasons until a calf injury ended his ’09 campaign. If he could return to form, maybe he could serve as a stopgap in the defensive backfield while they brought along Jarrett and Nate Allen recovered from a ruptured patellar tendon back in December.
But like so many of this summer’s moves, the Page addition was a disaster. He wound up starting five games for the Eagles this season, filling in first for Allen, and then Kurt Coleman while he was benched briefly, and his contributions could only be described as a spectacular failure. Page simply couldn’t tackle, and that’s when he was in position. Often when ball carriers ripped off big gains, the safety was taking terrible angles, running himself out of the play as the defense conceded huge chunks of ground.
Frankly, this should have happened weeks ago. It was understandable why they brought Page in, then wanted him to start over ahead of a rookie after a shortened off-season, but it quickly became apparent he had nothing to offer on the football field. You wouldn’t necessarily say Jarrad Page cost the Eagles games this season, but his presence certainly didn’t help matters.
>> Eagles cut safety Page, promote Hall [Eagletarian]
|charles murphy on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Robert Matthews on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|ericsaxon35 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Brian Grasso on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages