Jun 7, 2012, 7:43 AM EST
After making several high-profile player acquisitions last off-season, Joe Banner declared that the Eagles were “all-in.” It appears that was the case for him in particular, as the Eagles have announced that Banner will no longer serve in the role of team president.
Chief Operating Officer Don Smolenski, 45, will take over as president, while Banner becomes a strategic advisor to the owner. Banner will be allowed to seek other opportunities, which appears likely. The story was first reported by Jeff McLane of the Inquirer, who spoke with Lurie on Banner’s future and details of the front-office succession plan. The Eagles have posted a story to their website on that plan, and a press conference will be held today at 2:30.
With the team for all of Lurie’s tenure, spanning back to 1994, Banner has been president since 2001. Although often an unpopular figure among vocal fans and some in the media, Banner is also seen as a savvy salary cap master, a tough negotiator, and a productive executive. It’s hard to imagine his services not being in demand.
We’ll have more on this story later this morning.
|33 on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|will on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|Ron Burgundy on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Scott B on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages