Aug 26, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
Poor Kevin Kolb. He arguably never got a fair shake in Philly, hustled in and out of the lineup for Wildcat packages in his first game as the starting quarterback until he was injured and ultimately replaced. Never had a chance in Arizona behind one of the most putrid offensive lines imaginable. Now he may never even get an opportunity in Buffalo, or anywhere else for that matter, thanks to another concussion.
According to a report, Kolb’s latest head injury – at least the third of his NFL career – is considered potentially career-threatening. The Bills’ quarterback left Saturday’s preseason game with the injury, and the team is preparing for the distinct possibility that’s the last we’ve seen of the 2009 second-round pick.
[The Buffalo News' Tim] Graham tweeted Sunday: “Source tells me Bills concerned Kevin Kolb’s concussion may be career-ending and they’re proceeding with that in mind.
“At least 3rd career concussion for Kevin Kolb. Hit didn’t look serious, but source tells me response in locker room was disconcerting.”
A concussion of course is what knocked Kolb out of a job with the Eagles in 2010. Mike Vick replaced him in a losing effort against Green Bay, then the following week No. 7 led the Birds to win in Detroit. Kolb was cleared to return after that, but Andy Reid had seen enough to name Vick the starter going forward.
Kolb made seven career starts for the Eagles, posting a 3-4 record. In those games he completed 148 of 239 pass attempts (61.9%) for 1,714 yards (7.2 average) with 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions, good for an 81.4 passer rating. He was also named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice. In 2011 Kolb was traded to the Cardinals in 2011 for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick that the team turned into Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin.
It seems unlikely Kolb ever would have been a star, but it’s unfortunate how his career worked out, even if he does manage to one day step on to a football field again. At least he got a couple big paydays out of it though, and you just hope he gets out of the game before there’s any long-term damage.
|dawkisgod on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Tom on The ‘Group of Death…|
|yishmeister on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|clmull on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages