Jul 24, 2011, 11:56 AM EST
Last night, Howard Eskin made waves with a report stating that the Eagles have “some interest” in Brett Favre once they trade Kevin Kolb. With nearly every other big name free agent linked to Philadelphia, why not the man who can never safely be assumed to be truly retired? Plus, the Eagles will likely need to bring in a backup to sit between Michael Vick and the still green Mike Kafka.
Eskin routinely ruffles a few feathers and has for longer than I can remember, but even his detractors know he’s not without Eagles sources. Some detract for exactly that reason. Still, the report is very preliminary, so we’ll hold our breath a bit before digging in too deeply on what it could mean.
One person who isn’t waiting to share his opinion though is Vick, who wholeheartedly endorsed the Birds’ signing Favre to be his backup on Sunday morning:
I’m gonna take that “will be” as a slight misstatement of the conditional tense Vick correctly used in the first sentence, but I wonder if he remembers the last time an Eagles QB took up the cause of his potential backup… [UPDATE: Vick has since removed the posting.]
Now, I wouldn’t expect present day Vick to lose his starting job to present day Favre under any circumstances, but I can certainly imagine the circus once again coming to town if the Eagles exchange the nameplates above the number 4 in midnight green this summer.
And, there’s a chance Vick is right that Favre would be a great backup and voice on the sidelines, let alone a possible capable fill-in starter for a game or two. But he left a lot to be desired on the field in his most recent final campaign, and added an entirely new type of baggage off of it. The spotlight has a way of finding him.
We also don’t know whether, if the Eagles in fact are in fact interested in Favre as a backup whether Favre would be interested in coming back as the clipboard holder at this point in his life.
Your thoughts on Favre as a backup to Vick under center for the Eagles? There’s a sentence I couldn’t have imagined typing a few seasons ago…
Photo: Andrew Weber-US Presswire
|Captain_Awesome on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Joseph on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Dominic on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|SteveBrown on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages