May 13, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
For the first time since Chip Kelly became the Eagles head coach, the media was invited to watch one of his famous up-tempo practices on round one, day one of organized team activities. Much of the discussion afterwards was about just how “fast” and “frenetic” the sessions really were, or regarding the eclectic soundtrack to which the workouts were set.
There has been some talk however over whether or not Kelly has already tipped his hand somewhat in relation to the club’s current quarterback situation. Jeremy Maclin told reporters last week that Michael Vick took the majority of first-team reps during pre-draft mini-camp. Now PhiladelphiaEagles.com insider Dave Spadaro says Vick took most of the reps as the starter on the first day of OTAs – and most of the scribes in attendance seemed to agree.
Via Les Bowen of the Daily News, the head coach does not concur.
“He hasn’t,” Kelly said. “Count them up. Someone charted them, I would imagine. He and Nick [Foles] switched to different groups, so that’s what we did … again, it’s May 13 … we’ve got a long ways to go before we ever set a depth chart or do anything like that.”
That said, the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane thought the admittedly very early depth chart at quarterback went like this: Vick, Nick Foles, Dennis Dixon, Matt Barkley, G.J. Kinne.
Is Vick getting more first-team reps than Foles or not? Probably at least a handful, for sure, something Chip even acknowledged was possible. But then again at one point all five quarterbacks were described as throwing a ball to a receiver running the exact same route at the exact same time. The coach has said on numerous occasions there are plenty of reps to go around, and from the sound of things, there are.
In other words, it’s almost certainly far too early to get a read on the situation under center, and in many regards it still lends the appearance of the open competition the head coach promised. Based on Tim McManus’ story for Philly Mag, both Foles and Barkley were upbeat after practice, and Bowen even observed that Dixon looked comfortable under Kelly for the first time since their Oregon days together.
>> An Eagles Practice Comes to Life [PE.com]
>> Shock and Awe: Chip dazzles scribes [Eagletarian]
>> Observations from Chip Kelly’s first open practice [Birds’ Eye View]
>> Chip Kelly’s Quarterback Competition Is Underway [Birds 24/7]
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return