Sep 5, 2012, 7:27 PM EST
The wait is over. Are you as excited as we are, even if it is a game between two teams you are hardwired to hate?
The NFL kicks off tonight at 8:30 in its traditional fashion, with the reigning Super Bowl champions playing host. Eight months after the New York Giants met the Dallas Cowboys to determine the last remaining playoff spot in the final game of the 2011 regular season, the rematch is set for the first game of 2012. And although there is less at stake this time around, at the end of the night, one of these two teams will be in first place in the NFC East.
Of course, not everything about tonight’s contest is in the tradition of the kickoff event. For starters, everybody knows Wednesday Night Football is an oddity in the NFL, but the game was moved up by one day to accommodate President Obama’s speech at the DNC. As for the action on the field, the league is still using its dreaded replacement officials as the lockout of the regular crews continues to drag on.
But rest assured, football will be football on any day of the week, even when robots take over the officiating duties — and football is back.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return