Mar 12, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
In quite possibly the least stunning development to happen to
Philadelphia sports since Andy Reid was fired, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Eagles have released Nnamdi
Asomugha just minutes before free agency opened in the NFL.
Asomugha was scheduled to earn $15 million this season, but
it goes without saying that he’s failed to live up to five-year, $60 million
deal he signed in the summer of 2011. The Eagles will happily eat a cap hit of
$4 million to save $11.
It seemed plausible Asomugha might agree to a restructuring
given that this move had not come sooner. With Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie also
simultaneously becoming a free agent, the team must now replace both starting
cornerbacks from last season.
Luckily for the Eagles, it’s a buyer’s market. There are
quite a few quality cornerbacks in free agency – including Sean Smith, who the
team has been linked to – and the draft is said to be deep at the position.
Philadelphia now has well over $40 million in cap space to
play with right now, so they should be getting busy. Free agency opened at 4
As for Asomugha, he’ll go down as one of the biggest
free-agent busts of all time, here or anywhere else. After arriving from
Oakland hailed as one of the most dominant corners in the league, Asomugha had
just four interceptions in two seasons with the Birds.
At one time, quarterbacks would not even look at Asomugha’s
side of the field. In 2012, passers picked on Nnamdi with regularity, to the
tune of a 120.6 efficiency rating according to Pro Football Focus (via BGN).
No shortage of people getting in line to say good riddance
today. Hopefully the Eagles shop safe this offseason.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money