Oct 20, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
Anybody who used to visit Iggles Blog on the reg certainly would remember their video reviews. Unfortunately the video reviews are no more, but Derek has been using the All-22 to study the Eagles this year instead. This week, he broke down Juan Castillo’s coverages on every passing play the Lions attempted.
To summarize, IB gets to the bottom of Nnamdi Asomugha’s comments after the game, where the corner told reporters the defense got away from what had been working in the fourth quarter.
They certainly did. After varying their coverages throughout the day, the Eagles started to give Matt Stafford and the Detroit offense virtually the same look play after play. As we know now, that was terribly ineffective.
The question of why is of course unknown, but it may not be coincidence the change came when Nate Allen left with an injury, replaced by Colt Anderson. Anderson is a special teams ace, but apparently not much of a safety, so it’s possible Castillo wasn’t confident in his ability to execute the game plan.
Which of course is no excuse for throwing the same thing at the opponent over and over to no avail. The Eagles sure are exposed at safety should anything happen to Allen or Kurt Coleman though.
Everyone got so hung up on the blitz part of what [Asomugha] said, that they ignored the bigger picture. [The Eagles] had a game plan, it was working, then one guy got hurt and they threw it out the window.
Folks, if you’re into the X’s and O’s, this is as thorough a breakdown of the Eagles’ meltdown last week as you’re going to get.
|BenE. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|MikeD on The Secret Service once threat…|
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money