Aug 19, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT
If you simply based your impression of Union coach Peter Nowak on his sideline demeanor and dealings with the media you’d think he was a no nonsense rule-with-an-iron-fist sort of coach. In some respects you’d be right. Perhaps seeking to counter that perception Nowak has done the unthinkable and joined Twitter. Oh, and he’s actually good at it. Really good.
He’s been both funny and engaging. Dave Zeitlin from CSNPhilly.com has a nice piece on Nowak’s shocking move to the social media site. Zeitlin highlights the most meta Twitter exchange possible as Nowak exchanged tweets with @FakePeterNowak, a fake account which embellishes Nowak’s tough guy act.
With Nowak on Twitter I couldn’t help but think what it would be like if any of the other coaches in town joined the 140-character limit site.
If his press conferences are any indication Andy Reid would be the worst follow ever. He’d no doubt script his first fifteen tweets. His internet connection would constantly time out. We’d be subjected to things like “That last retweet was a bad retweet by me. I’ve got to do a better job with that.” It’d be dreadful.
Charlie Manuel would probably find it impossible to confine his tweets to the 140-character limit. His homespun wisdom and penchant for meandering stories would be a Twitter nightmare. With that being said, I have no doubt Charlie’s tweets would become an instant internet meme machine. His Twitter hashtags would be amazing – #hittinweather, #clubhousewrastlin, #rickflairwooo, #spacemountain
Doug Collins would likely dominate the Twitter world. He’d respond to every single tweet, compliment NBA beat writers on their stories, and send daily tweets to his players telling them that he loved them. A typical Collins tweet would likely read “So proud of @thekidet. Jrue_Holiday11 was wonderful. @yungsmoove21 worked so hard. @deepsixer3 loved your column. @dlynamCSN great interview”
Tough to say how Peter Laviolette would be on Twitter. He’d probably remove the gum from his mouth and put it on his hand as he got involved in a Twitter war with @iamseanavery. I think we’d no doubt see a whole lot of #dryisland. Based on the way he handled his goalies in the playoffs Lavvy would probably change his Twitter avatar every other day. Zing.
As much as some people may hate it (Chris Wheeler I am looking at you) Twitter and other social media sites aren’t going anywhere.
Wheels on what he thinks of twitter, “Why can’t it go back to 30 years ago when nobody gave a S— what you said!!”
If used correctly these new media outlets can be a dynamic and effective tool for the local teams.
The Union have recognized the power of Twitter and as an early adopter they’re taking advantage. It’s likely only a matter of time until the other coaches in town join as well.
Do you have any interest in the coaches in town joining Twitter? Any ideas on what they’d say if they did?
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return