Sep 23, 2011, 3:06 PM EST
You likely watch the Eagles every Sunday. If you’re like most fans, you likely watch them in your living room which has one pretty nice television in it like most warm blooded Americans.
Level reader and diehard Eagles fan Brent Blanchard is not your average fan. Not only did Brent send in photos of his nine television setup in his man cave located in Medford Lakes, NJ, complete with wet bar and beermeister, he also sent along a 3-page PDF file describing his ridiculous setup in incredible detail.
Oh, and he says he has actual field goal posts from the Vet.
“The football goalposts that book-end the monitor wall are the actual uprights used in the west endzone of Veterans Stadium by the Eagles, and are positioned at regulation NFL width of 18.5 feet apart,” Brent writes. “I dragged these to my car during a demo crew lunch break (the south goalposts were crushed into a dumpster a few minutes later).”
Amazing. [more photos below]
Here’s a sampling of his description:
The video wall is the centerpiece of the 400 sq. ft. Control Room. Eight 24” monitors surround a 55” center unit. Each monitor has 4w external speakers and is mounted to moveable boom arms allowing them to pull outward and rotate 90 degrees in all directions (useful for video gaming or closer viewing). Space was allowed for eventual upgrade of the center monitor to 70”.
The monitor bank is justified left-of-center on the wall, a) to align with the room entrance, and b) to allow Wii gamers space for arm-swinging that’s generally not required for the Xbox. Floor-level chairs set close to these monitors allow gamers to optimize viewing angles
Integrating various types of video sources was the most challenging part of the Control Room’s construction. I established HDMI as the base format, which required all other formats to be converted. Of the 29 electronic items involved (9 monitors, 4 switchers, 16 source inputs), 16 have integrated HDMI connectors. The other 13 possess composite, component, RF or VGI outputs, which require a host of signal converters working furiously under the monitor bank.
Because every item above requires its own power, a total of 43 electronic components are being powered within the large black boxes under the monitors. (Factor in the 17 room lights and surround system, and the room draws some juice!) But that’s what was required to allow every component to transfer seamlessly, which in turn allows for displaying up to nine of the following video sources with the touch of a button:
Recordable Verizon Fios box #1
Recordable Verizon Fios box #2
Recordable Verizon Fios box #3
Direct TV receiver w’ NFL
Dell online #6
Dell online #8, both w’ wireless keyboard & mouse
Live Turtle Cam with remote control
Live 151 CCTV Cams
DVD player #2
Sony FX1 hd tape cam
Sony G55 hd drive cam
The two Dell computers are hard-wired with dedicated cat5’s to maximize bandwidth for live events. But they also perform other functions:
The top unit (#6) is configured for:
A. Primary ESPN3 sports matrix
B. Live outbound streaming of Turtle Cam video at http://www.implosionworld.com/turtlecam.htm
C. Pan/zoom the live video feed from roof of LBI condo
D. Primary Fantasy Team live scoring
E. Primary web access
The bottom unit (#8) is configured for:
A. Listening to music db of over 75k songs. Guests can easily create playlists in Itunes jukebox.
B. Secondary ESPN3 sports matrix
C. Secondary Fantasy Team live scoring
D. Secondary web access
That’s not even getting into the power setup, the audio setup, the lighting setup, the photography setup, the artifact setup, etc.
Oh, and in addition to all of the electronics, the “Control Room” as Brent calls it also has a gaming area complete with regulation bubble hockey, foosball, knee hockey, and darts. “It also features a relaxation area with oversized sofa and chairs which opens out to the rear porch, back yard and lake,” he writes.
The lake is a nice touch.
We salute your amazing efforts and have only one other question.
Can we be friends?
Got a decent TV setup of your own for watching Philly sports on? Show us! email@example.com
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return