May 13, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
Two weeks have gone by since the New York Jets released Tim Tebow, and the only NFL executive who will admit he wants anything to do with the career 47.9% passer is Commissioner Roger Goodell. In fact Chip Kelly ruled out Tebow landing with the Eagles immediately, favoring accuracy over athleticism under center.
So why even pose the question as to whether or not Tebow will be hurling footballs 10 yards out of bounds at the Linc this season?
Nobody said anything about the Linc. Tebow could be coming to the Wells Fargo Center.
According to a report by Ed Barkowitz for the Daily News on Monday, Ron Jaworski reached out to Tebow about playing for the Philadelphia Soul in the Arena League. The former Eagles quarterback and long-time ESPN analyst is one of two majority owners for the franchise, and he along with head coach Clint Dolezel are the ones courting the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner.
To this point the team has received no reply, nor was the Daily News able to obtain a comment from Tebow.
Whether or not Tebow would be likely to achieve more success at the Arena level is debatable, but his NFL career is nearing its conclusion if something doesn’t change fast. Tebow is mechanically flawed beyond the point of mere tinkering, and his popularity exceeds his ability which might be a problem in some locker rooms.
Having said that, if Tebow wishes to continue pursuing a career as a quarterback at the pro level, a minor league may be his best bet. Even if an NFL team were to take a chance on him at this stage, is he ever going to get the reps and attention from coaches to fix his delivery?
Either way, signing Tebow could be a huge boon for the Soul, even if it were only short-term. Obviously I don’t speak for everybody, but I personally would have some interest in going to see the Tebow experiment attempted in the Arena League. That could pack the house for at least a week or two.
Don’t hold your breath though. Tebow has undoubtedly received these kinds of offers from all sorts of smaller operations, so if he’s hand-picking his next job, don’t necessarily expect him to choose Philly.
>> Soul ponders adding Tim Tebow [DN]
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages