Oct 7, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
The Eagles haven’t sacked a quarterback in two games. That’s not necessarily the worst thing in the world, considering the defense has gotten plenty of pressure, been solid in both of those outings and really wasn’t to blame for what happened in the team’s 16-14 loss to the Steelers.
But if you listen to Trent Cole, not sacking the quarterback almost sounds like a good thing.
Basically, as Trent tells it, the Birds’ defensive tackles and ends are so good that other teams don’t just let them tee off on on the most important player on the field.
Instead, out of respect, they do frigging crazy things. Block, for example.
This beautiful exchange between Trent Cole, Darryl Tapp and the media after Sunday’s game comes courtesy Geoff Mosher:
“Hey that’s just called respect,” Cole said after the Eagles lost 16-14 on Sunday at Heinz Field … Ain’t that right, Tapp?”
“Feel it,” Tapp shot back.
“They leave max protect and every team you go against that max protects — Tapp, tell ’em — that’s called respect,” Cole continued. “That tells you, ‘That’s the best damn defensive line in the [expletive] NFL.’ That’s just real talk. That’s common sense. It’s right there in front of your face. Every team.”
To an extent, they’re actually right. When an offense max protects a front four, that should make it easier for the linebackers and the secondary in coverage. The sacks, in and of themselves, are not the goal so long as the defense, by whatever means necessary, does its job.
Just like earning respect, in and of itself, isn’t an endgame.
Right, Trent? Darryl? Guys?
R. Kelly NSFW
Follow The700Level on Facebook
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return