Nov 29, 2011, 6:02 PM EDT
The Daily News Live gang was discussing the effectiveness of the Eagles running game when Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger didn’t like the way Philadelphia Daily News columnist Marcus Hayes responded to what Diddy had to say.
Didinger is known for being balanced and measured, a veritable Eagles encyclopedia, as well as someone who tries to deal only in the realm of fact and reasonable opinion, rather than being reactionary or writing to stir his audience to visceral reactions. Hayes is no slouch either, but at least in my opinion, he often seeks to stir the pot on both DNL and with his columns (one example here).
Diddy brought out the fact the Eagles averaged 6+ yards per carry in the first half against the Patriots — a stat Hayes thinks doesn’t mean all that much. Hayes believes that when teams know the Eagles are going to run, they’ve been successful in stopping them. Is this true? Hard to say without looking into it further. But Diddy then says you should pass when they’re lined up with nine men in the box. Makes sense?
Hayes lets out a big sigh which leads to Diddy saying, “Please, don’t roll your eyes at me, okay?”
See, the Eagles’ putrid season brings out the sometimes-flimsy arguments of guys like Hayes which in turn angers legends like Ray Diddy. At least we get this entertaining quasi-smackdown as a result. [video below]
I tend to think Diddy makes a stronger argument here. I was watching from the second deck with a beer in hand on Sunday, but was Vince Young “atrocious?”
One particular Twitterer was quite entertained:
|willh888 on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|red2gold on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return