Nov 19, 2012, 1:01 AM EST
As if things couldn’t get any worse this season, All-Pro
running back and last remaining beacon of light LeSean McCoy sustained a
concussion while the Eagles were running meaningless plays in the final moments of
a humiliating 31-6 loss in Washington. It’s early, so there is no word yet on how
severe it is, but in this day and age we’re all hyper-sensitive to these types
But why was McCoy on the field in the first place with less
than two minutes remaining, and the outcome decided? According to the head
coach, the Eagles were trying to win the game.
The first question Andy Reid was asked at the post-game
press conference was why he would have arguably his best player on the field in
that situation. Reid responded as if he were delusional.
“Because we’re trying to catch up and win the game.”
Um… you mean the game against the Redskins? The one the
Eagles played (allegedly) on Sunday?
Astonishing as Reid’s answer was, how was he supposed to
respond? There was some outcry that McCoy was still in the game at this stage,
but why wouldn’t he play? Teams usually yank starters because they are
way ahead on the scoreboard, not necessarily when they are way behind.
And if that is your mentality, that McCoy should not have
been on the field because the outcome was decided, why should McCoy suit up for the rest of the season at all? For that matter, why should DeSean Jackson, or anybody else who has a huge contract? Who is Nick Foles supposed to be throwing or handing
the ball off to right now when every snap he gets is so important to his
The fact is Shady gets paid millions of dollars to play
football, so that’s what he was doing in the fourth quarter. The main reason
teams pull productive players like McCoy from a game is because they have
something to play for next week. Clearly the Eagles do not.
As for Andy, it’s no surprise he didn’t quite know how to respond. He hasn’t held the answers to much of anything this season.
|dawkisgod on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages