Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
It looks like Chip Kelly has found his man to run his defense. According to CSN’s Geoff Mosher, the Eagles will hire Billy Davis as defensive coordinator. He’ll come over with former colleague Pat Shurmur after the pair coached together the past two seasons with the Cleveland Browns.
His track record as a defensive coordinator isn’t exactly the resume of Jim Johnson. But it’s not that of Todd Bowles either.
This move will likely go hand-in-hand with the Eagles making the much rumored switch to a 3-4 defense.
Jeff McLane dug up some of Davis’ defense’s stats:
Davis’ defenses in San Francisco finished 32d in yards and 30th in
points in 2005 and 26th and 24th in 2006. In Arizona, his defenses were
ranked 14th and 31st in yards and 11th and tied for 26th in points.
Davis was most recently the linebackers coach in Cleveland. Prior to that he was DC in Arizizona and Cleveland.
One of the more interesting questions I’ve seen discussed on Twitter is why wait so long to grab a guy from the Cleveland Browns? Did they want to try and test the waters with a 49ers/Ravens assistant and that didn’t work out?
This is recommended reading to get to know Davis.
I have finally come to peace with the fact that the Eagles will never, ever win a Super Bowl. I plan to still watch because I like football.
— Chamomiles Davis (@chamomilesdavis) February 7, 2013
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money