Jul 26, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT
For guys like David Akers and Quintin Mikell, who watched the Eagles replace them in the NFL Draft in April, the promise of free agency was all but assured. As for the rest, well, apparently they don’t have to wonder anymore.
The Inquirer’s Jonathan Tamari reports the Birds will not bring back any of their 15 total unrestricted free agents, which includes the likes of key contributors such as Stewart Bradley and Sav Rocca. Jerome Harrison, Max Jean-Gilles, and Ernie Sims are among the others on their way out.
In most cases, there is little mystery surrounding their exile. Guys like Antoine Harris, Bobby McCray, and Reggie Wells never saw the field, while Nick Cole, Omar Gaither, and Dimitri Patterson became underachievers when they were thrust into the action. Ellis Hobbs could retire.
A handful of these free agents could possess some value yet though. Many believed Harrison, Max Jean-Gilles, and Akeem Jordan could be in line for reserve spots, while Bradley and Rocca could compete for starting jobs.
However, the Eagles were obviously prepared for this development in most cases. Almost every unrestricted free agent was matched by a corresponding selection in the draft. While they did not choose a punter back in April, among the undrafted rookies the club signed today was Florida Gators punter Chas Henry.
Of course, this is a report on plans that could still be preliminary in nature as well. The Eagles may not intend to meet the current demands for one or two of these guys, but as free agency plays out, some could potentially come crawling back.
We’ll try to examine some of these impending departures closer a little later on, if time allows. Not much has happened so far, but somehow it feels very busy at the same time.
>> Eagles won’t re-sign Bradley, Rocca, Mikell, Harrison [Birds' Eye View]
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money