May 21, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
While the home field of the Eagles is only celebrating its 10th birthday this year, that doesn’t mean Lincoln Financial Field couldn’t use a few updates. The NFL agreed on Tuesday, approving financial support for the organization to perform renovations aimed at improving the stadium experience.
Just what type of new bells and whistles can fans expect to see? Team president Don Smolenski didn’t offer much in the way of details in an official statement, however Philly Mag’s Tim McManus dug back to a piece from Sports Business Journal last summer that might shed some light on the plans.
The preconstruction RFP states that after 10 years of use, the stadium renovation will “improve video technology to current HD standards and update guest amenities in response to feedback received from longstanding season ticket holders, premium partners and sponsors.”
In order of importance, the document lists the priorities as video board replacements, seating bowl fill-ins in the northeast and southwest corners, new field-level clubs, renovations to clubs on the east and west sides, suite improvements and gate entry upgrades.
McManus suggests some of the specifics may have changed in the past year, but at the time the project was expected to cost between $60 and $100 million.
HD-video improvements sound like a no-brainer given how much technology has progressed over the past decade. Seating bowl fill-ins sounds like a euphemism for more seats. Perhaps the most interesting refurb on that list are field-level clubs – I would be curious to see how they find room for that, and whether there truly is high demand for such a thing.
The rest of that stuff sounds like your run-of-the-mill fresh coat of paint and new screen doors job. Although with respect to gate entry upgrades, anything that gets you into the building faster can’t be a bad thing.
Again, none of the specifics are confirmed, but overall it sounds like a series of welcome additions are coming to the Linc, some of which could possibly be finished by the time the first preseason game is played according to McManus. We’re anxious to learn exactly what’s in store.
>> Eagles Get League Support For Stadium Facelift [Birds 24/7]
|ingredients on Flyers-killer Ovechkin won’t p…|
|Daxon on Jerry Jones doesn’t hire a GM…|
|lahoe819 on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|Brian Sweger on Jerry Jones doesn’t hire a GM…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages