Sep 22, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Sports Illustrated ran a superb article on their web site yesterday in which Jim Trotter sat down with All Pro wide receiver Roddy White for a little film review. The subjects: Asante Samuel, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.
White sounds like a seasoned offensive coordinator as he breaks down tape, describing the elaborate differences in style between each member of the all star cast. You know Asante is a ballhawk, Nnamdi is a press corner, and DRC is a speedy playmaker. These are the techniques each of them use to shut down their opponents — and how to beat them.
The most fascinating part of the review focused on Asomugha, who Roddy talked about at length. It was surprising because, at times, the Falcons’ wide receiver made getting open against Nnamdi sound so easy.
White circles the receiver Asomugha is preparing to press.
“… He’s doing a bad job, to me, because I would never have been this close to the line of scrimmage,” Roddy continues. “Nnamdi’s arms are so long that it makes it very easy for him to get his hands on you. That’s his comfort zone. So you back this out a half-yard, get some distance and prevent him from getting his hands on you. And with a guy like him you’ve got to use your feet — hands and feet. You’ve got to get ready and put your hands up quickly because he’s going to launch at you and try to put his hands on you to disrupt routes. So you always have to be going forward and your hands in a position to be above his, because if you can get his hands away from you, then you can pretty much dominate.”
Pretty much dominate, eh? It’s worth noting, White only contributed three catches for 23 yards on Sunday night — though he also added a score.
Great read for fans who enjoy delving into the X’s and O’s. It’s obvious Roddy White is not only one of the best wide receivers in the NFL, but one of the most intelligent as well.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money