Jul 3, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Michael Vick’s star hasn’t merely fallen – it’s plummeted. Just a few years removed from being voted the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year, Vick took a pay cut over the winter and now is embroiled in a quarterback competition.
Perception around the league has changed along with Vick’s status. ESPN analyst and former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski apparently wouldn’t take the 2010 Pro Bowler over three-quarters of the NFL’s passers if his “QB Countdown” is to be believed.
Via Dan Graziano of ESPN’s NFC East Blog, Jaws placed Vick number 25 on the countdown, down from 12th only a season ago. The key reason for the huge drop can probably be found in this transcribed graph:
Vick can get to the edge and outflank the defense, he can beat you from the pocket with an explosive vertical arm that can lift the top off the coverage, and he presents multiple options in the red zone with his movement. The concern of course, is turnovers. Vick had far too many in 2012. Fifteen of them in 10 games; four of those 15 came in the red zone.
Graziano notes that because Jaworski says Vick is still the best QB on Philly’s roster, neither Nick Foles or Matt Barkley is ahead of him. The full rankings aren’t out yet (it’s a countdown), but just count off from a list of NFL teams and you’ll get a sense for what kind of signal callers 25th gets someone lumped in with.
It probably isn’t entirely unreasonable. At this point Vick is what he is, which is an immensely gifted athlete whose flaws – turnovers, timing, health, efficiency – have always outweighed his amazing abilities.
I’d take 20 or so quarterbacks over him without question. That includes a guy whose name rhymes with Click Moles as long as upside is part of the equation.
>> Vick drops to 25 on Jaws’ QB countdown [ESPN]
|BenE. on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
|ron juke on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|Matt S. on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|jim on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages