Jul 3, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
Michael Vick’s star hasn’t merely fallen – it’s plummeted. Just a few years removed from being voted the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year, Vick took a pay cut over the winter and now is embroiled in a quarterback competition.
Perception around the league has changed along with Vick’s status. ESPN analyst and former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski apparently wouldn’t take the 2010 Pro Bowler over three-quarters of the NFL’s passers if his “QB Countdown” is to be believed.
Via Dan Graziano of ESPN’s NFC East Blog, Jaws placed Vick number 25 on the countdown, down from 12th only a season ago. The key reason for the huge drop can probably be found in this transcribed graph:
Vick can get to the edge and outflank the defense, he can beat you from the pocket with an explosive vertical arm that can lift the top off the coverage, and he presents multiple options in the red zone with his movement. The concern of course, is turnovers. Vick had far too many in 2012. Fifteen of them in 10 games; four of those 15 came in the red zone.
Graziano notes that because Jaworski says Vick is still the best QB on Philly’s roster, neither Nick Foles or Matt Barkley is ahead of him. The full rankings aren’t out yet (it’s a countdown), but just count off from a list of NFL teams and you’ll get a sense for what kind of signal callers 25th gets someone lumped in with.
It probably isn’t entirely unreasonable. At this point Vick is what he is, which is an immensely gifted athlete whose flaws – turnovers, timing, health, efficiency – have always outweighed his amazing abilities.
I’d take 20 or so quarterbacks over him without question. That includes a guy whose name rhymes with Click Moles as long as upside is part of the equation.
>> Vick drops to 25 on Jaws’ QB countdown [ESPN]
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money