Dec 2, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
The season boils down to this: if the Eagles lose tonight,
so what? After all, they are losers. It’s probably for the best anyway with the
draft right around the corner.
But if the Eagles win – hey, anything is possible – how humiliating
would that be for the Dallas Cowboys?
From a fan standpoint, few moments are better than the enjoyment
gained at the expense of a bitter rival’s misfortunes. From a football team standpoint,
few if any losses would be more embarrassing than one at the hands of the
Not that Dallas is much better off than Philadelphia this
year. The Cowboys are 5-6, and only in the postseason conversation as long as
the Giants allow them to be there. As we said a few weeks ago, in many respects
they are a mirror image of the Eagles, although not quite the train wreck in
That was evident four weeks ago, when the Cowboys rolled
Philly by a 38-23 final at the Linc. Michael Vick was knocked out in the second
quarter, but the Eagles rallied behind Nick Foles to take a 17-10 lead in the
third. Then reality set in, and Dallas scored three touchdowns in under three
minutes to take control of the game.
Little of consequence has changed over the short period of
time since. The Eagles still haven’t won a game since September. Andy Reid
continues to patrol the sidelines. Foles is on to his third NFL start, showing
little of the preseason magic that created Foles Fever over the summer, much
less the makings of a future franchise QB.
Then again, Foles goes to war with less and less every week.
Bryce Brown makes his second start in place of LeSean McCoy – also out with a
concussion – hoping to improve upon a 178-yard rushing performance that was
spoiled by two fumbles. Now DeSean Jackson has been lost to broken ribs, while
the offensive line is different all the time.
Even the defense experienced a shakeup this week. With Jason
Babin handed his walking papers, Brandon Graham was elevated to starter at
defensive end, and second-rounder Vinny Curry should get more looks playing in
his second-career game.
We can only hope that works better than the time Andy sent the
defensive coordinator packing. The Eagles haven’t held an opponent to fewer
than 28 points in the five games since Juan Castillo’s departure.
Given that this team just lost to its last remaining cupcake
opponent on Monday night, it’s hard to believe the Birds have anything left in
the tank for anybody. Add in the fact that they are on the road, and the
Cowboys are coming off of three days extra rest following their Thanksgiving loss
to Washington, the result would seem elementary.
Yet the Cowboys are perfectly capable of laying an egg at
any moment. Tony Romo is their quarterback!
As much as I’ve resigned myself to the fact that the Eagles
are playing for draft positioning, and I couldn’t care in the least if they
lost every game for the rest of the season, there is just something about
Dallas week that makes me want to see a victory. If they don’t get one,
whatever. If they do, then it’s in Dallas fans’ faces.
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages