Aug 25, 2012, 3:59 PM EST
As is often the case during the preseason, it’s hard to say what the Eagles dismantling Cleveland by a final of 27-10 means for their Week 1 encounter, if anything at all. That said, it’s reassuring in any situation when you make short work of a future opponent, and do so largely on the strength of backups.
Andy Reid had already pulled his starters on defense less than 10 minutes into the game with the score still 0-0, and led by a rookie quarterback, his first-team offense played just three snaps longer, eight total — enough to pick up seven. Still the route was on. After an impressive opening series ended in a turnover, the Browns couldn’t get anything going with their ones, lending the appearance they could be in for a long Sunday in two weeks.
Then again, when we say preseason doesn’t matter, it’s a two-way street. Just as we shouldn’t make too much of the Eagles’ struggles against New England’s backups this past Monday, the takeaways from the Browns having essentially the same issue should not be overblown either. Special teams also influenced the outcome heavily, often providing the Birds with excellent field position.
On the other hand, it was hard not to sense there is a big gap between where these two teams stand at the moment. The best example that came to mind when reviewing last night’s events was when the Eagles put a backup defense on the field, it still features linemen who would start almost anywhere else. Coming off a 4-12 season, the Browns certainly looked the part of a team that doesn’t share such luxuries.
Anyway, not a lot to analyze here. Neither team wanted to show anything, so tempting as it is to say the Browns seem overmatched here, we’ll save any declarations until the real thing is upon us.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages