Jan 13, 2013, 6:18 AM EST
We don’t have anything against college coaches per se. Hell,
I honestly believe Penn State’s Bill O’Brien very well might be the best
football coach without an NFL head job in all the land. That said, I couldn’t
be more ecstatic about Friday night’s news that the Eagles will no longer pursue any head coaching candidates from within the collegiate ranks.
This of course comes on the heels of the announcement that
Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly will remain at the university rather that pursue a pro
job, a development that was not entirely unexpected. As soon as it became
apparent however, the organization released the following statement:
“There is no question we spent a considerable amount of time
and effort looking at who we thought were the best collegiate candidates for
our head coaching job,” the statement read.
“We did so knowing that there was a remote chance that these coaches would
leave their current posts. We understood that going into the process, but we
wanted to leave no stone unturned while trying to find the best head coach for
the Philadelphia Eagles.
“We have no regrets about the effort we made in that direction and we will
continue to proceed as planned in our search.”
Kelly was the third college coach to interview for the
Philly vacancy after O’Brien and Oregon’s Chip Kelly, and fourth to garner
consideration along with Syracuse’s Doug Marrone, who joined the Buffalo Bills.
The Eagles have already interviewed at least five additional candidates – including
Seattle’s Gus Bradley on Saturday according to reports – and have meetings
scheduled with two more NFL assistants early this week.
But as for Brian Kelly and Chip Kelly, two coaches with
absolutely zero pro experience who were both at one time reported favorites for
the position, I can’t say I feel as if the Eagles lost out on anything. That’s not to
say great coaches can’t be discovered in the college ranks, but I’d just as
soon be safe and take somebody with more relevant experience.
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages