Mar 8, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Technically free agency doesn’t open until March 12, but the
NFL added a new twist for this year. Teams will have a three-day window to court
impending unrestricted free agents before they can actually sign a contract.
The courting period begins at midnight, and basically
legalizes “tampering” from Saturday up until players are allowed to sign on the
dotted line at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. The idea is to cut down on all of the
not-so-subtle tampering that has been going on in free agency for years, giving
front offices that play by the rules a chance to at least contact any free
agent of their choosing.
What, you didn’t think the Eagles negotiated an eight-year,
$65 million contract with Jevon Kearse in the roughly five minutes he was
actually on the market back in 2004, did you?
That means news of who the Eagles are targeting could break
even before some of you make it to bed tonight. And while no deal will be made
official until Tuesday, it’s possible the team could even reach an agreement
with one or several players beforehand.
Stay tuned. The Eagles have a ton of cap space, and plenty
of needs, so you know they’re going to be active. We wouldn’t be surprised to
hear a big name or two over the weekend.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return