Mar 8, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Technically free agency doesn’t open until March 12, but the
NFL added a new twist for this year. Teams will have a three-day window to court
impending unrestricted free agents before they can actually sign a contract.
The courting period begins at midnight, and basically
legalizes “tampering” from Saturday up until players are allowed to sign on the
dotted line at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. The idea is to cut down on all of the
not-so-subtle tampering that has been going on in free agency for years, giving
front offices that play by the rules a chance to at least contact any free
agent of their choosing.
What, you didn’t think the Eagles negotiated an eight-year,
$65 million contract with Jevon Kearse in the roughly five minutes he was
actually on the market back in 2004, did you?
That means news of who the Eagles are targeting could break
even before some of you make it to bed tonight. And while no deal will be made
official until Tuesday, it’s possible the team could even reach an agreement
with one or several players beforehand.
Stay tuned. The Eagles have a ton of cap space, and plenty
of needs, so you know they’re going to be active. We wouldn’t be surprised to
hear a big name or two over the weekend.
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages