Dec 28, 2011, 12:54 AM EDT
No surprises here. Jason Babin, among the NFL’s top three sack leaders; LeSean McCoy, the NFC’s top rusher and touchdowns leader; and Jason Peters, now a five-time all star, will all be making the trip to Honolulu this year for the Birds.
Of course, these guys were never not going to the Pro Bowl. They are are among the very best in the talents in the league.
Babin and McCoy have had two of the most prolific seasons in Eagles and NFL history. Babin is three sacks shy of Reggie White’s single-season franchise record, while Shady broke the team’s single-season records for touchdowns and rushing touchdowns, and is also second in the league in rushing yards.
It’s Babin’s second in as many seasons — first as an Eagle — while McCoy is going to his first.
Peters is one of the guys who made it all possible for McCoy. A huge, athletic run blocker who can take out would-be tacklers at the second level, Peters is also a dominant pass protector, and is gaining a reputation as quite possibly the best left tackle in the NFL.
Also of note is Cullen Jenkins, who was named a first alternate at defensive tackle. Jenkins arguably has been the defense’s most consistent performer all season. Menacing against the run, with a solid 5.5 sacks against opposing quarterbacks, Jenkins also has emerged as a leader in the locker room.
Surprisingly, Nnamdi Asomugha is a second alternate. That would appear to have a lot to do with reputation, and the fact that there aren’t a ton of top-line corners in the NFC.
On another note, there does not appear to be any major oversights as far as the Eagles and Hawaii are concerned. Trent Cole has a quiet 10 sacks, as usual. It took Brent Celek a bit too long to get out of the blocks. Not exactly a banner year for Mike Vick, either. If anything, perhaps Todd Herremans and even Evan Mathis were overlooked.
There’s no denying the guys who made it though. They were at the top of their sport this year, and well deserving of their individual honors.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return