Sep 27, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
It’s been a rough last two weeks or so for Eagles fans. The season is only three weeks old, and already the drama has reached dizzying proportions. Well, I am going to spare you the agita and not focus on the myriad number of issues facing this team.
Instead, I figured I’d post something positive from Eagles history. The graphic above appeared on ESPN during the Cowboys/Redskins Monday Night game, and completely blew me away. The MNF production team ran the graphic after DeMarcus Ware sacked Rex Grossman. The sack was Ware’s 85th in 99 career games.
As you can see from the picture above Reggie White had 105 sacks in his first 100 games. It’s true, as Mike Tirico pointed out, that White was a professional when he came to the Eagles, having signed with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL.
It’s also true that the NFL did not start keeping individual sack statistics until 1982. With that being said, it’s been almost 30 years since then and Reggie sits 20 sacks ahead of Ware. That’s ridiculous. The Minister of Defense averaged a little over a sack a game over his first 100 games.
During the strike-shortened 1987 season Reggie recorded an absurd 21 sacks in 12 games. He was an unstoppable force coming off of the edge. He could run through or around any tackle at any time. Check out this video of highlighting Reggie’s 1987 season. And yes, the video is all the more amazing because it’s narrated by Harry Kalas.
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|icdogg on Connor Barwin is … THE…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages