Sep 21, 2011, 11:17 AM EST
Every time an athlete suffers a concussion, we here about them needing to pass a series of concussion tests before being cleared to play again. Up until now we had never seen what these tests entail exactly.
CSN’s John Boruk sat down with Dr. Dan Lazowick of Lankenau Medical Center who helped Sixers Coach Doug Collins work through his concussion last summer to try and get a better understanding of what concussed athletes go through.
The ImPACT concussion test is a computer-based program that measures mental and memory agility in addition to reaction speed and recognition skills. Boruk actually went through and took the test. It takes you through a number of tasks, such as word identification, design memory, X’s and O’s, distractor tests, symbol matching, color matching, and letter memory. [video below]
The raw test score alone is not important. What is important is how your score compares to your baseline test that was taken prior to the season when you assumedly have all of your faculties and wits about you.
Perhaps we haven’t had enough coffee today, but it looks really hard.
If you score high enough on the test, a popup video message from Nicolas Cage is played on your screen giving you a clue to a secret lair under the famous sun-rise chair at Independence Hall. There you’ll find a secret passage to Modell’s sporting goods where you can buy a new mouth guard and special concussion-proof helmet designed by Benjamin Franklin which will allow you to play in Sunday’s game.
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages