Aug 28, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
Some people believe Michael Vick is a very good to great NFL quarterback, some think he’s an overrated, inconsistent, and flawed player. Wherever you happen to fall on that spectrum, there’s one aspect to Vick’s game almost everyone can agree on: he’s injury prone.
Vick is the Eagles’ starting quarterback for now, but even if he continues to play at a high level, folks in the Delaware Valley seem resigned to the fact that he will get injured at some point. It can be a little misleading to say because there are some variables, but it’s also a fact Vick has appeared in 16 games only once during his 10-year career.
We’ve tended to think about it in terms of why it’s good to have Nick Foles around and when the 24 year old will get his opportunity to play, but naturally Vegas has a different spin. What’s the over/under on the number of games Vick will start this year? The line from Bovada.lv might be a bit startling.
Michael Vick – Total games started in the 2013 Regular Season
Vick only needs to miss three starts this season to fall under that mark. To put that in perspective, he’s missed at least that many all three years he’s been the starter in Philadelphia.
In 2010, Vick missed two games with a rib injury, then was held out of a meaningless final game with a deep thigh bruise. In 2011, he missed three games due to the ribs again. Last season he wasn’t cleared to return from a concussion until five contests had gone by, then Andy Reid stuck decided to stick with Foles.
The possibility that Foles could take over and play well enough not to get bounced out of the lineup upon Vick’s recovery has to play into this line as well.
Of course, while Vick has been particularly injury prone during his time with the Eagles, he would have reached the over most of his years in Atlanta. Only once out of five years as the Falcons’ starter did he miss more than one game in a single season, indicating the angle has been played up a bit.
That said, Vick’s style at times can be reckless, and he often takes unnecessary hits from holding on to the ball too long, so it’s no wonder everyone expects him to get hurt. I think when you add the point that Foles has looked good too and might have a chance to seize the job if he can get in there for a game or two, you almost have to go with the under here.
|mslavick on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Feves on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Matt S. on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|galasso2586 on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return