Aug 13, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
People often discuss what allowed the Eagles to have so much success during Andy Reid’s early years with the team, specifically the stretch where the team appeared in four consecutive conference championship games and a Super Bowl. The offensive line seldom appears at the top of the list, but the Birds fielded one of the most dominant units in the league for years, anchored by massive Tra Thomas as left tackle.
The three-time Pro Bowler announced through Twitter on Monday that he will sign a one-day contract with the club on Thursday and formally retire an Eagle.
The 11th overall pick in 1998, Thomas spent 11 years with the Birds, appearing in 166 games. He was an immediate starter in his rookie season coming out of Florida State, and only missed more than one game in a season once for Philadelphia.
After the ’08 season, an aging Thomas was allowed to depart free agency in typical Eagles fashion. The front office traded for Jason Peters, while Thomas signed with the Jaguars for one disappointing season, starting three games and appearing in eight before calling it quits.
It’s a nice gesture by Thomas and the team, as he had a fantastic career here, and was voted the best left tackle in franchise history by the fans in 2007.
Lurie on Tra Thomas: “(He) played such an integral role in our success,
though he probably never got all the credit he
— Eagles Insider (@EaglesInsider) August 13,
|Alex s on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|steve wilson on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|drew on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|Helen on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages