Feb 16, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
The Eagles decided yesterday to place a transition tag on longtime kicker David Akers. This was a bit of a surprising move to most observers, mostly because the Eagles very rarely use the transition tag, and also because, well… Akers is a kicker. His agent wasn’t thrilled about the move and still hopes that the two sides can come to terms on a more lucrative, longer-term deal for the kicker. Obviously every player wants to get as much money as possible, but one small anecdote in the Daily News’ posting about Akers’ financial situation caught our attention.
Akers is known to have lost the bulk of his savings over the past few years in an investment recommended by close friend and former teammate Koy Detmer. Triton Financial of Austin, Tx., the company in question, has been sued by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for defrauding investors. So a signing bonus, which would only come with a longer-term deal, might be important to him as a way of rebuilding his assets.
After reading that paragraph about Koy Detmer, we investigated a bit further. Turns out, Koy and his older brother Ty may have gotten themselves in a bit of trouble down in Texas.
From a January 4th article for Business Insider about the Ponzi scheme:
Last week, plaintiff’s lawyers added retired NFL-ers Ty Detmer, his brother Koy Detmer, Chris Weinke and Jeff Blake to the list of defendants in a private lawsuit against Triton Financial, an investment firm that the SEC is investigating for an alleged $50 million ponzi scheme.
It’s almost as if Koy was trying to bend people over and spank them. Or that time he made six figures in three days.
Let’s just hope the SEC shows a little bit of mercy and allows Koy to keep his luxury automobile.
|sfsu on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|The Bees Knees on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Northeast Philly on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Hiccup on The current Papelbon header on…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages