Aug 24, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
Late last night, the Eagles announced the passing of Hall of Fame running back Steve Van Buren, arguably the greatest player in franchise history. He was 91.
Obviously we aren’t old enough to have seen Van Buren play, but the accolades speak for themselves. His NFL career lasted from 1944 to 1951, a period over which he led the league in rushing and rushing touchdowns four times, retiring as the all-time leader in yards. The Eagles also won back-to-back championships with Van Buren in ’48 and ’49.
I was always impressed by Van Buren’s achievements, and unlike many players from that time period, you get the sense he would have fit right in today’s game. However, I was struck most about how amazing a career it was last season, specifically the day LeSean McCoy broke the Eagles’ single-season touchdown record. Van Buren’s count of 17 touchdowns stood a remarkable 66 years, and he did it in just 10 games. In fact, Van Buren still holds several franchise records, and remains the only back in team history to win a rushing title.
When the NFL Network came out with their Top 100 players of all time, Van Buren landed at a respectable 58. Ray Didinger remembered the career of an Eagles legend.
>> More from Ray Didinger [CSN]
|Earl on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|biggirlcookiemonster on Michael Carter-Williams doesn…|
|red2gold on Even your phone thinks Nick Fo…|
|Davey u on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages