Sep 24, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
Andy Reid stopped short of opening the can of worms, but he loosened the lid with a little twist. Asked whether he’s given any thought to making a switch at quarterback during his day-after press conference, the head coach told reporters nothing is imminent. Then in his next breath, Reid seemingly left all options on the table.
“Right now, we’re with Michael and that’s what we’re doing. We’ll evaluate it as we go.”
We’ll evaluate it as we go. That’s not quite, “We’re considering it.” It wasn’t, “Michael is the man,” either.
Still, while it wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of Vick’s status as the starter, we’re probably at least a couple more bad outings away from his job being in serious jeopardy. As poorly as he played in Cleveland, he led the team to victory in the end, then again the following week over the Ravens, where he acquitted himself rather well by the way.
But a switch could happen. Roob points out change under center would be nothing new for Reid, particularly in recent years, and there is a whole other dynamic with his job supposedly on the line.
Most of all, I think it was a throwaway line by coach. If Vick continues to turn the ball over at a higher rate than any entire team in the NFL (minus Philadelphia of course), the Eagles will lose more football games, and there really isn’t anything to evaluate at all.
Once again though, it should be noted the Eagles are 2-1, and all data would likely suggest Vick can’t possibly keep up at this pace. I’m not sure you could build an actual turnover machine that would cough up the rock at more alarming numbers. So yeah, Andy Reid is going to monitor this situation, and if things spiral out of control, there’s a good chance we’ll get a long look at Nick Foles sometime in the not-too-distant future.
I’m not sure he was saying we’re there just yet — but do you think we should be?
Previously: Who ya got? Kevin Kolb or Mike Vick
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|icdogg on Connor Barwin is … THE…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages